SAFe® Agile Software Engineer
Operational and Assessable Objectives:
The introduction of Lean-Agile and DevOps principles and practices into software engineering has sparked new skills and approaches that help organizations deliver higher-quality, software-centric solutions faster and more predictably.
This three-day, workshop-oriented course explores foundational principles and practices and how continuous flow of value delivery and built-in quality are enabled by XP technical practices, Behavioral-Driven Development (BDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
Attendees will learn proven practices to detail, model, design, implement, verify, and validate stories in a SAFe® Continuous Delivery Pipeline, as well as the practices that build quality into code and designs. Attendees will also explore how software engineering fits into the larger solution context and understand their role in collaborating on intentional architecture and DevOps.
This course is for the technical members of an Agile Team—developers and testers. Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Managers, and others with a less-technical background would also benefit and gain an understanding of the development process for more effective team collaboration.
- Introduction to Agile Software Engineering
- Connecting Principles and Practices to Built-In Quality
- Accelerating Flow
- Applying Intentional Architecture
- Thinking Test-First
- Discovering Story Details
- Creating a Shared Understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicating with Models
- Building Systems with Code Quality
- Building Systems with Design Quality
- Implementing with Quality
At the end of this training, you will be able to:
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test-First principle to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Create shared understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicate with Agile modeling
- Design from context for testability
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Utilize the test infrastructure for automated testing
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Apply Lean-Agile principles to optimize the flow of value
- Create an Agile Software Engineering plan
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance
What the training includes:
- Student workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the ASE exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certification of completion
- SAFe Agile Software Engineer certification upon passing the exam
- One Certification exam attempt (retakes at an additional fee)
How and when to access:
- Training provided in French or English
- Face-to-face or distance learning
- Workbook and course material in English
- Materials for practical exercises
- Evaluation of the training via interactive questionnaires during the training to verify the acquisition of knowledge
- Platforms and tools used: Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Mural, Miro, Drive
Passing the Certification :
At the end of the training, the candidates will receive a link to the SAFe Community platform and will be able to take the exam. The first test is included in the training within 30 days. Each new test will cost $50, payable directly on the SAFe Community platform.
- Format of the exam: Multiple choice questions (MCQ)
- Method: Web-based, closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Duration: 2 hours (120minutes)
- Number of questions: 60
- Passing score: 42/60 (70%)
- Language: Exam in English
At the end of the exam, you receive your results immediately.
After passing the exam, the candidate receives their certification which is valid for 1 year. This must be renewed annually and costs $295/year.